To listen to your Chirp books in a car, simply pair your device using Bluetooth (if supported), or use an AUX or USB cable to physically connect your smartphone or tablet to your car's audio system.
For the best experience while listening to Chirp in your car, we'd recommend downloading your books for offline listening.
We've included some steps to pair using Bluetooth below, but please consult your car manual or contact your manufacturer to confirm compatibility and for more specific instructions.
Once you've successfully connected your device to your car, you can listen using the Chirp app's driving mode. Driving mode features a simpler interface and larger buttons for easy use.
Please only use your phone and the Chirp app when it's safe and legal to do so. Begin playing and enable driving mode before starting your trip, and make sure to observe all traffic rules and regulations while driving.
Safe trip and happy listening!
The Chirp app doesn’t support Apple CarPlay or Android Auto at this time, but we plan on introducing this functionality in the future!
Connect using Bluetooth
In order to "pair" your devices using Bluetooth, both devices must be Bluetooth compatible. Once you've confirmed compatibility, set both devices as "discoverable" or use the "search for available devices" feature to find and pair your devices.
If you have trouble connecting using Bluetooth, please review the tips below and consult your device manufacturer.
- Check your car's manual or your device settings to confirm compatibility. Sometimes devices aren't compatible and you'll need to use another method to listen in the car.
- Make sure you're seated in the car before attempting to pair, as the devices need to be in close proximity.
- Confirm that you've set both devices to "discoverable" mode.
- Only attempt to pair while your car is parked.
- Try disabling and re-enabling Bluetooth, then attempt to pair again.
Chirp offers a driving mode feature to make listening to your audiobooks more accessible. Driving mode includes a simplified player screen with larger buttons. To take advantage of this feature, you may need to install the latest version of the Chirp app. You can find links to update the app below.
- Please update here if you use an iOS device, such as an iPhone or an iPad.
- If you use an Android device, please click here to update.
Once you've installed the latest version of the app, tap on the cover or title of your book to start playing. From the player screen, tap the car icon in the top right corner to enable driving mode.
Once you've enabled driving mode, you'll see a simplified screen with larger buttons. From driving mode, you can track your progress through the current chapter, play/pause, advance or go back 15 seconds, and add bookmarks.
To disable driving mode, tap the car icon in the top right corner again.
Please contact us if you have any additional questions, we're happy to help!